Step 1: Complete a FAFSA verification worksheet
Required for all selected applicants.
Reference your email for the correct academic year worksheet to complete. Only submit a worksheet for the academic year for which you were selected. If uncertain, please contact Financial Aid.
Step 2a: Submit federal tax information
Select one option. If not a tax filer, skip to step 2b.
If you completed the IRS data retrieval process through the FAFSA, do not submit a tax return or transcript at this time. If uncertain, please contact Financial Aid.
- Go to fafsa.gov and click on Login button.
- Enter your FSA ID.
- Click on “Make a FAFSA Correction.”
- Click on the Financial Information tab.
- Click on Link to IRS.
- Answer the income tax return question and follow the prompts on the screen. Be sure to enter your address exactly as it appears on your tax return (i.e. Street, St, St.).
- Make sure these steps are completed for both student & parent (if dependent)
- Submit signed copies of federal tax returns (1040) and Schedules 1, 2, and 3 (if applicable)
- Please do not submit state tax return forms
- Make sure federal tax returns are submitted for both student and parent (if dependent) as well as student’s spouse/parent’s spouse (as applicable)
- If the student or parent is newly married OR the student/parent filed separately from a spouse submit federal tax return information for the spouse
The IRS recently implemented new security features that redact (remove) a significant amount of personally identifying information from all of their documents. While these added security features protect your personal information and identity, it makes our job more difficult. As such, when submitting any documents from the IRS (tax return transcripts, W-2 forms, etc.) to Financial Aid, please list the student’s full name and CSS ID in the top right corner of the document. Failure to provide this information will increase processing time and may prevent us from processing your document entirely.
- Click on “Order a Tax Return Transcript“
- Click Get Transcript By Mail
- Click OK on pop-up box
- Enter your Social Security Number and Date of Birth
- Enter Street Address EXACTLY as it appears on your tax return (i.e. Street, St.)
- Enter Zip Code
- Click Continue
- Select “Return Transcript” for Transcript Type (do not select “Account Transcript”)
- Select tax year that corresponds with the correct school year (i.e. 2019 tax year for 2021-2022 school year)
- Enter student’s CSS ID in Customer File Number field (without the leading B or V)
- Click Continue
- Make sure these steps are completed for both student and parent (if dependent) and student’s spouse/parent’s spouse (as applicable)
- This process takes 5 to 10 days before it is received by mail to the address entered
- If you are unable to request a transcript using the instructions above, please
try the following:
Step 2b: Verification of Non-Filing
Parents and Independent Students Only. Skip this step if federal tax returns were filed for the requested year.
Independent students (spouse if applicable) and parents of dependent students (verify your dependency status) must verify their non-filing status by obtaining a Verification of Non-Filing Letter from the IRS. Obtain this letter by visiting the IRS website:
- Click on https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript
- Then choose either “Get Transcript Online” or “Get Transcript by Mail.”
- Get Transcript Online will give you instant delivery via PDF. “Get Transcript by Mail” will provide you a mailed paper copy usually received within 5-10 days.
- Make sure to list the correct year when requesting the Verification of Non-Filing Letter.
- Complete lines 1-4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form
- Line 3: Enter the non-filer’s street address and zip or postal code
- Line 5b: Enter the student’s CSS ID in the customer file number (with the leading B or V)
- Line 6: Skip this step
- Line 7: Select the check box on the right-hand side for Verification of Non-Filing
- Line 8: Skip this step
- Line 9: Year of period requested field (i.g. enter 12/31/2019 for 2019)
- The non-filer must sign and date the form, and enter their telephone number
Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506-T to the address or fax number provided on page 2 of the IRS Form 4506-T. If the IRS Form 4506-T information is successfully validated, you can expect to receive a paper IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter at the address provided on your request within 10-15 days. Once you have received the Verification of Non-Filing Letter, please submit the letter to the College (see Step 3) listing the student’s name and CSS ID number. If we receive the Verification of Non-Filing Letter without the student’s name and CSS ID, our office will not be able to match the letter to the correct student, thus delaying financial aid.
Step 3: Submit all signed and completed documents to Financial Aid
Please list the student’s name and CSS ID on all documents. Failure to provide this information may result in increased processing time and delays to your financial aid. Please make sure all federal tax returns contain a handwritten signature.
1200 Kenwood Avenue, T1122
Duluth, MN 55811
- Phone: 218-723-6273
- Visit: Tower Hall, Room T1122 – Duluth Campus
If you have questions or concerns about the verification process, Financial Aid is here to support you!
- Email: email@example.com — please call or email to request a secure Virtru email to submit tax documents.