Job fairs can be an excellent tool to use as part of your job/internship search. The best feature of a job fair is that it provides the chance for you to make contact with dozens of employers in a few hours. Remember that this is not only an opportunity for you to sell yourself, but it is a chance for you to screen potential employers. Following are tips to help you succeed at a job fair.
Plan to attend upcoming career fairs relevant to you
Tools to help you prepare for Job Fairs
- Review Fair details and register
- Prepare your professional attire and practice wearing it ahead of time.
- Identify employers that will be attending. Research those organizations that interest you.
- Some employers allow for pre-select interviews - contact those that interest you.
Preparing your documents
- Have your resume critiqued by the job skills assistant or a career counselor. Be sure to leave time to make edits.
- Update your LinkedIn profile.
- Practice your one-minute introduction/elevator pitch.
- Quick interview tips
- Questions for employer
Making the most of the Fair
- Arrive early to network when employers are fresh.
- Check in at CSS registration table to pick up your name tag and final fair details.
- Develop a list of 10-15 organizations you want to make sure to visit.
- A positive and open attitude are critical.
- Check for special events and presentations.
- Follow-up with employers that interest you via email or hand written thank-you note within two weeks.
Utilize these additional resources