Immunization Requirements

Minnesota's College Immunization Law

Minnesota law (M.S. 135A.14) requires all students born after Dec. 31, 1956 who enroll in a Minnesota college to be immunized against tetanus, diphtheria, measles, mumps, and rubella. Minnesota law requires colleges to provide information on transmission, treatment, and prevention of hepatitis A, B, C, and meningococcal disease. 

Immunization information from the Minnesota Department of Health

CSS Student Health Service Immunization Letter

Steps for Students

First Step - Obtain your Immunization/Vaccination History

Get a copy of your vaccination record and ensure that you have met the required immunizations. This is usually on file at most high schools and colleges as well as Primary Care clinics. Contact these sites directly to get a copy of your immunization record.

CSS requires all new incoming students (first year and transfer) to verify immunization history and complete the online Tuberculosis Screening form. The following immunizations are REQUIRED:

●One (1) Tetanus Diphtheria Acellular Pertussis (TDAP) vaccine (from ages 11-64). NOTE: TDAP is not the same as the other vaccines containing some or even all of the vaccine components (D-T-A-P) such as DTAP, Td or DT. Substitute TDAP for Td once, then Td booster every 10 years.
●Two (2) Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR) vaccines ON OR AFTER age one (1)
●One (1) Meningococcal (Meningitis ACWY) vaccine AFTER age sixteen (16). May be given up to age 23.
● Two (2) Varicella (Chicken Pox) vaccines at least 12 weeks apart if vaccinated between ages 1-12 and at least 4 weeks apart if vaccinated age 13 or older OR positive varicella antibody.

-- Strongly RECOMMENDED (but not required) is the Meningitis B vaccination (2 or 3 doses depending on vaccine) for young adults aged 16 through 23.

Immunizations Available

If you need vaccinations, please contact Student Health Service.  Immunizations will be billed to your health insurance or charged to your student account. The following immunizations are available:

  • Tetanus Diphtheria Pertussis (TDAP)
  • Tetanus Diphtheria (Td)
  • Influenza (Flu)
  • Hepatitis A and B
  • PPD (Mantoux) skin tests for Tuberculosis 
  • MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
  • Meningococcal (Meningitis) 
  • Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
  • Varicella

Second Step - Submit Copy of Immunizations to Student Health Service

Students are required to submit a copy which verifies your immunization records. You may submit this in one of the following ways:

  • Take a photo with your phone and email it to
  • Fax a copy to (218) 723-5953
  • Mail to CSS Student Health Service, 1200 Kenwood Avenue, Somers Hall Room 42, Duluth MN 55811
  • Bring a copy with you to campus and bring it to Student Health Services in Somers Hall Room 42 upon your arrival

Medical Exemption or Conscientious Objection Forms 

Students who would like to claim a Medical Exemption or Conscientiously Objection to vaccinations should print, complete, and return the form to Student Health Service. You will also be required to set up an appointment with the Nurse Practitioner to discuss your exemption. 

Medical Exemption Form
Conscientious Objection Exemption Form

Please call or email Student Health Service if you have questions about these requirements.