Dear Member of the St. Scholastica community,
As you know, the spread of H1N1 virus (swine flu) is of concern in Minnesota. The College of St. Scholastica has plans in place to meet challenges presented by the pandemic.
The College encourages you to help protect your own health and the health of those near you. There are three steps.
1) Inform yourself. Regularly check the College’s emergency preparedness page at emergency.css.edu. Here you’ll see the latest updates from the College, the Minnesota Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
2) Practice good public health habits. Wash your hands frequently. Avoid people with coughs or other flu-like symptoms. To learn more specifics of how to avoid the flu go to: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm#d https://www2.css.edu/app/depts/collcomm/index.cfm http://www.css.edu/emergency.xml and click on the Saints Alert icon to complete your information.
3) If you develop flu symptoms, avoid other people until 24 hours after a fever is gone.
If you are a student this means:
• If you have a residence hall room, stay in your room. Find a "flu buddy" to deliver meals and notes from class. Consider leaving campus either by going home or to the off-campus home of a relative or friend.
• If you live off campus, stay home. Find a "flu buddy" to bring notes from class.
• If you can't avoid close contact with other people on campus, wear a surgical mask. They will be available at the Health Service and at other locations around campus. At extended campus sites, contact your program director. Please do all you can to isolate yourself.
If you are a faculty or staff member:
• Stay home if you feel sick.
• Work with your supervisor to arrange for the discharge of your duties in your absence.
• If you can't avoid close contact with other people on campus, wear a surgical mask. They will be available at the Health Service and at other locations around campus. At extended campus sites, contact your program director.
As part of our preparedness, it's imperative that our Saints Alert emergency contact information is up to date. Returning faculty, staff and students: go to
to check the accuracy of your contact information and make any necessary updates.
New faculty, staff and students: go to
The College will meet any challenge from H1N1 by following the best advice from government and health officials. Our goal is to preserve the safety and health of all of our community members, while minimizing disruption of the College’s classes, extracurricular activities and business practices.
St. Scholastica’s administration is monitoring the situation closely and will update you as new developments occur. However, H1N1’s spread demands that all of us, as individuals, remain alert and responsive. Thank you for your cooperation.
If you have questions or concerns contact the Student Health Service at (218) 723-6282.
The College of St. Scholastica