The College of St. Scholastica
1200 Kenwood Avenue
Duluth, MN 55811
TTY/TDD: (218) 723-6790
Ryan H. Sandefer, MA, CPHIT
Science Center Room 1123D
Health Information Management
- St. Scholastica is the first college in the country to grant both a bachelor's and master's degree in Health Information Management (HIM). Moreover, the college offers the only four-year accredited program in Minnesota.
- Graduates of the HIM program are qualified to sit for the national Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) examination. Graduates with the RHIA designation are highly qualified for key management positions in various healthcare venues, including hospitals, clinics, and long-term care facilities.
- Health information management is an ideal major for those who would like to work in a healthcare setting but not necessarily have direct contact with patients.
- Students in HIM take part in the Professional Practice Experience — a six-week program that takes them out of the classroom and into the healthcare work force. Students have the chance to spend three weeks working at a regional hospital, two weeks at a larger medical center, ambulatory clinic or specialized facility, and a final week exploring non-traditional HIM practice sites.
- St. Scholastica students can choose from among dozens of possible clinical sites for their internships. Students have completed their Professional Practice Experiences in such locations as Seattle, Honolulu, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Tampa, Washington, D.C., and San Francisco in addition to Minnesota hospitals.
Health Sciences Career Outlook
Extremely positive. Currently, labor statistics indicate there simply are not enough qualified professionals to keep up with the national demand for health information managers; this situation is expected to continue for quite some time. Due to the demands of the labor market and to St. Scholastica’s excellent reputation within this field, graduates of the health information management program boast a placement rate of nearly 100 percent within six months of graduation.
Apply Now Come for a VisitAccepted Students Meet Your Counselor Contact Admissions Request Information
"St. Scholastica's health information management program prepared me for a leadership position right out of college. I had been given the opportunities during my time at CSS to network and build relationships with other HIM professionals that ultimately led to the first job I had."
– Asia Johnson, B.S. '01 and MS. '07
"The health information management program was more than I could have asked for in a major. Every teacher I had was supportive of my goals and took a special interest in ensuring my success. Thanks to this family of HIMers... I was more than prepared to enter the professional world."
– Brittney Kozlowski, RHIA, M.S ‘12