Earn free AHIMA-approved CEUs
AHIMA has approved our free online course Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology for Continuing Education credit.
The bachelor's and master's degree programs at The College of St. Scholastica are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
M.S. Health Information Management Online
FAST FACTS: M.S. Health Information Management
- Hands-on experience with real, anonymized patient data to give you the experience you need to succeed in the job market.
- Faculty are active HIM education, industry and business leaders.
- CAHIIM-accredited primarily online program, with two onsite sessions that provide an invaluable opportunity to meet and interact with fellow students, professionals and faculty
- Choose from two program tracks – The Credential Track, a 3-year program for those who do not have their RHIA credential or the Advanced Track, a 2 year program for those who already have their RHIA.
- Competitively priced tuition
St. Scholastica now offers two M.S. HIM program options to better meet the needs of our students.
If you do not have your RHIA credential, you can apply for admission to our Credential Track. This track incorporates all essential coursework for earning your RHIA credential. After you take the RHIA exam and earn your credential you only have 22 graduate credits left to obtain your MS degree in HIM.
If you already hold your RHIA credential, you are eligible to apply for the Advanced Track option. In just 40 graduate credits, you will have your Master of Science in HIM.
Leaders in HIM since 1935
Since founding the first Health Information Management (HIM) program in the nation in 1935, St. Scholastica has been a leader in HIM education. We continue to build on this tradition by offering excellent, rigorous programs in flexible formats for working professionals.
The HIM graduate program is structured to help advance the careers of practicing Health Information Management professionals and provide a path into the profession for those with bachelor's degrees in other fields. The program emphasizes quality health care data as the foundation for organizational information and knowledge management systems, and is offered in a distance-learning format which allows professionals to maintain their current employment status while enhancing their knowledge and skills.
The HIM profession is experiencing strong growth with the increased adoption of Electronic Health Records (EHR) software nationwide.
As the health care system goes digital, hospitals are having trouble finding enough people trained in Health Information Management. Read about it in the Star Tribune's recent article.
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 22% growth rate over the next decade for HIM and related careers.
- AHIMA and the American Medical Informatics Association recommends that the healthcare industry increase the number of professionals (pdf) who are trained in workflow redesign, care process or quality improvement; EHR implementation; and health information management.
Online Admissions Counselor
If you are looking for the true "Gold Standard" in HIIM education then look no further. Just as Yale and Harvard are synonymous with the highest level of business degrees, The College of St Scholastica provides the type of education required to tackle the challenges that lay ahead in the ever-changing health care field.
I would recommend any student to invest in a bachelor's and/or master's degree from St. Scholastica. Degrees cost enough as it is, so why not get the very best?
St. Scholastica's HIM program prepared me for a leadership position right out of college.
I had been given the opportunities during my time at CSS to network and build relationships with other HIM professionals which ultimately led to the first job I had.
2001 HIM B.S. and
2007 HIM M.S. Alum
2nd Annual LaTour/Eichenwald Forum
5:30 p.m. | June 3, 2013
The College of St. Scholastica campus
Free and open to the public. Registration requested.
Keynote speaker: Patty T. Sheridan, MBA, RHIA, FAHIMA
Patty T. Sheridan, MBA, RHIA, FAHIMA, (ex-officio - President/Chair, AHIMA Board of Directors) will provide the keynote address at this year's LaTour Eichenwald Forum on HIM Leadership and Innovation.