Online Learning and Technical Requirements | MSW
Our program has both face-to-face and online curricular components. The following are our technical recommendations to help you succeed in the program:
- A newer computer (operating system of Microsoft Windows Vista, v7 or v8 or Mac OSX 10.7 or 10.8)
- A computer with a USB-connected or built-in web cam
- High speed internet connection
- Headset with microphone (USB connection recommended)
The preferred word processing application is Microsoft Word 2010 or Mac Word 2011.
At St. Scholastica, online learning doesn't mean you're on your own.
We've offered online classes since 1995. Over the years, we've learned what works best, and how to provide our students with the support they need to be successful. Our professors are available to meet with students when needed and will work to provide additional guidance and support on an individual basis.
Our academic advisors understand the technology our students are using and are experienced in helping with all manner of academic and technology issues.
Advantages of an online education
- Online access to class materials - All class materials, including discussions, videos, lectures, and readings are stored in one, easy-to-access location.
- Flexible scheduling - A virtual classroom means that you can study when and where it works best for you. You're not locked into a specific time, day and location.
- Continuous improvement - Every time a class is taught online, we look closely at the curriculum and improve the content to ensure that every class is the best that it can be.
Blackboard is the software that runs our virtual classrooms. It is a secure online environment that can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection.
Blackboard offers 24/7 access to all course information, and has a variety of features that foster student collaboration and engagement, including:
- Web 2.0 applications
- The ability to integrate YouTube videos and Flickr images
- Instant messaging, virtual discussions
- Instant access to recorded webinars and other instructional information
- Online access to your grades
Other Student Resources
Don't let computer problems stop your learning. Our help desk is ready and available to troubleshoot whatever issues you may be encountering. We also offer 24-hour Blackboard support.
Atomic Learning features tutorials for dozens of popular computer programs that help you learn the basics of a piece of software.
Topics covered include:
- Adobe Photoshop
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Adobe Flash
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Recording videos
- Searching the internet
- Basic PC maintenance and security
- Using PowerPoint to create effective presentations
SMARTHINKING is a website that provides online tutoring, providing live help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It can be accessed from Blackboard. Check out our demo video for more information on SMARTHINKING's capabilities.