Admissions Requirements and Checklist
- BA/BS degree from an accredited college or university
- GPA of at least 2.8
Note: Meeting minimum entrance requirements does not guarantee admission.
The GTL program length varies due to our program being customized around your undergraduate degree and the Minnesota teaching standards in the area you want to teach. Prior to submitting an application, you may request an informal analysis of how many courses you will need by contacting your Admissions counselor.
- Request official transcripts. Transcripts must be in the original sealed envelope from the school, or from a certified electronic official transcript provider such as Docufide, Scrip Safe or National Clearinghouse (email to firstname.lastname@example.org). Transcripts required: BA/BS transcript showing degree conferred, any post-baccalaureate transcript, and any transcript with pre-requisite coursework.
Please order early - transcripts can take up to 4-6 weeks to arrive. Mail transcripts for receipt on or before the deadline to:
The College of St. Scholastica
Office of Graduate and Extended Studies Admissions
1200 Kenwood Avenue
Duluth, MN 55811
- Complete the Online Application. You will need to use an updated browser, preferably Firefox, Chrome, or Safari.
- Select your program:
- Graduate Teaching Licensure Certificate Only, Middle-Secondary
- Graduate Teaching Licensure Certificate Only, K-6
- Graduate Teaching Licensure + MS Teaching, Middle - Secondary
- Graduate Teaching Licensure + MS Teaching, K-6
- MS Teaching Completion, Only for students who previously completed the Graduate Teaching Licensure
- Upload your completed Graduate Teaching Licensure Essay (word or pdf format)
The essay should represent your highest level of academic writing and demonstrate your ability to participate in a rigorous, fast-paced, academic program.
Prepare a 500-word essay, typed and double-spaced, answering the following questions:
- What life experiences led you to make this career change decision?
- How will earning a teaching licensure enhance your professional life?
Please finish the essay with a short paragraph on:
- Why did you choose The College of St. Scholastica for your studies?
- A minimum of two experiences with children is required, documenting at least 30 hours of experience with children individually and in a group setting. For middle/secondary applications, at least 15 hours of the 30 hours of experience with children must by with adolescents/teens (12- to 18-year-olds). For elementary/middle applicants, at least 15 hours of the 30 hours must be with school-age children (6-to11-year-olds). This information will be entered into text fields in the application.
- Enter contact information for two references who have preferably observed your interaction with children and who have observed your leadership skills.
- Select your program:
- If you have international transcripts or non-citizen status, you will need to send additional documentation. Please see the International Admissions Policy for complete details.
- Discuss financing your education with the Financial Aid Office early in the application process by calling (877) 287-8716.
- Upon receipt of all application materials, the application packet will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review and the admissions decision.
Duluth - January Program Start
St. Cloud - May Program Start
St. Paul - May & September Program Start
Applications due 6 weeks prior to program start. Contact Admissions Counselor for more details.
- Submit Decision Response Form
- Successfully complete background check ($50 fee )
All students are expected to have proficiencies with certain technology. Please go to our Technology Requirements page for more details.
This tuition rate is in effect for the 2013-2014 academic year. Tuition rate is subject change in subsequent years.
Recruitment Counselor, Graduate & Extended Studies
St. Paul Admissions
St. Paul Campus
St. Cloud Admissions
St. Cloud Campus