In the news
Teacher hiring is picking up
A recent St. Paul Pioneer Press article highlights the upswing in teacher hiring over the last few months. After a few years of difficult hiring environments, school district payrolls are up 7.6 percent over last year.
Graduate Teaching Licensure
FAST FACTS: Graduate Teaching Licensure
- Gain hands-on knowledge through student teaching, seminars and clinical experiences
- Option to earn a master’s degree while working toward license to increase earning potential
- Hybrid learning model with online and weekend on-campus courses in Duluth, St. Cloud and Twin Cities)
- Accelerated eight-week terms; earn K-12 license in as little as eighteen months
- Competitively priced tuition
Earn your teacher's license in a convenient, flexible format
St. Scholastica's Graduate Teaching Licensure (GTL) program provides students with the benefit of earning a Minnesota teaching license while working towards a Master of Science degree. The program is designed for working professionals. Classes are taught in a blended online/on-campus format that usually limits in class time to 2 weekends (Friday or Saturday) per month.
This is an innovative program designed to provide professional preparation of teachers for elementary, middle and secondary licensure. The program is:
- Focused on student learning
- Well grounded in research and best practices
- Collaborative with the K-12 community
- Committed to integrating diverse perspectives and educational technology
We seek to prepare committed teachers who are firmly grounded in the knowledge, skills and dispositions needed to promote student learning. The varied courses and field experiences enable students to develop mastery of the Standards of Effective Practice for beginning teachers.
Earn your Master of Science degree while working toward licensure
Our GTL program is designed to meet the requirements of a Master of Science while you are working toward your initial licensure. This means that you'll be able enter the teaching profession with a master's degree, giving you more earning potential, better credentials and a full understanding of how to be an effective teacher.
If you're not interested in earning a Master of Science degree and just want your teaching licensure, we can accommodate your needs as well. Contact an admissions counselor for more information on this option.
Federal loan forgiveness programs for teachers
The U.S. Department of Education offers loan forgiveness programs for teachers. The program requires teachers to work in school districts that serve low-income students for five consecutive academic years and offers up to $17,500 in loan forgiveness for Federal Stafford loans.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, teaching positions are projected to grow at about 17% between 2010 and 2020. Job prospects are expected to be the strongest in inner cities and rural areas.
- Elementary school teachers are vital in the development of young children
- Middle and secondary school teachers help prepare students for the job market and higher education
- Tenure rules in many states provide added job security
- A master's degree can boost a teacher's earnings
Recruitment Counselor, Graduate & Extended Studies
St. Paul Admissions
St. Paul Campus
St. Cloud Admissions
St. Cloud Campus